Acupuncture is a medical approach that is steadily becoming more widespread. If you are curious about acupuncture, here are some benefits you can expect, including:
1. Migraine relief – Studies performed on people suffering from migraines and other headaches showed a decrease in headache intensity (and the number of headache days experienced) after acupuncture treatment. Patients were also less likely to develop side effects, compared to patients who used migraine medication.
2. Chronic pain reduction – Acupuncture is commonly used to relieve chronic pain in the neck or back from stress, pregnancy, age, etc. Studies show that acupuncture, in conjunction with modern medication, can drastically reduce pain intensity and improve quality of life.
3. Insomnia treatment – Studies also show that acupuncture can have good results in promoting sleep, even for those taking medication or herbal treatments. Acupuncture achieves better results than if you used conventional treatments alone. Importantly, these studies also show that acupuncture sessions have no adverse side effects, compared to some sleep medications.
4. Anxiety relief – Acupuncture also works well as a treatment for anxiety disorders. One advantage acupuncture has over antidepressants and other medication is the lack of side effects (like nausea and mood swings). Results have shown that acupuncture also provides better results than if you rely solely on medication, even in cases where dosages have been reduced.
5. Improves cancer recovery – Treatments for cancer (like chemotherapy) often have side effects including nausea, hair loss, etc. Acupuncture can help reduce these effects and make recovery more comfortable. This is also true in the case of certain surgeries where acupuncture has been shown to reduce the nausea caused by anesthesia.
6. Minimizes indigestion – Studies performed on pregnant women reveal that acupuncture can reduce symptoms of indigestion and heartburn.
7. Treats stroke symptoms – Acupuncture has also had success treating symptoms of stroke (e.g. paralysis and spasticity).
8. Eases pregnancy – Acupuncture can be used to balance hormones and ease stress during and after pregnancy. It is also used to induce labor in a more natural manner than drugs. Acupuncture is a safe because it doesn’t involve chemicals and has no adverse effects on a mother’s body chemistry.
9. Relieves asthma – Acupuncture treatments are also used to clear up asthma and other respiratory issues. This prevents the need to use antihistamines on a regular basis.
If you should decide to try acupuncture, look for experienced, licensed professionals who will discuss a treatment plan with you. The Brampton Physiocare and Wellness Clinic has professionals you can count on to provide proper care. Contact us at (905) 497-1311 to get started.
Manny Dhaliwal Reg. PT
Physiocare and Wellness Clinic