Most of us understand that exercise is good for us and though we may be aware of its many benefits, some of us tend to delay engaging in regular physical activity.
Some reasons we neglect our bodies include:
- Prioritizing leisure activities
- Lacking motivation
- Preoccupation with work
- Frustration if we don’t see quick results
Instead of feeling bad for slacking off, take a deep breath and let it out slowly. Then, make a plan to begin again. Here are a few mindsets that can help you get back on track:
1. The minute you realize you’ve neglected to exercise you’re turning into the right direction. Take a moment to reflect why you need exercise. Why have you decided to make a change for the better? Consider your reasons and use them as a source of inspiration.
2. Start with inspiration, continue with discipline. Sometimes we lose motivation; that’s normal. When we desire change, inspiration gets us started but only commitment brings results. Many fitness experts say that around “month three” of a regular workout plan, desired results become readily apparent and help us to become more committed and determined to achieve our goals.
3. Accept failure but not defeat. Failure is not the same thing as defeat. Sometimes we stumble and neglect our exercise plan, but returning to the routine or starting over is something to be proud of, rather than giving up entirely.
4. Allow yourself to breathe. Accept that commitment to a healthy habit takes time and effort. While working hard to become healthy, allow yourself breaks so muscles can recover. If you work out your upper body one day, do lower body the next.
Sometimes the greatest challenge we face with a new commitment isn’t exercise itself but our own mindset. By thinking positively and “forgiving ourselves” when we don’t meet our goals, it’s easier to stick to our plan.
Diet and exercise bring positive results, but change can be difficult. Brampton Physiocare and Wellness Clinic in Ontario has a team of qualified sports therapists to help you plan the right kind of workout regimen for your needs. We can also help if you’ve experienced injury from sports activity or overexertion. Please call us at (905) 497-1311 and allow us to help you reach your fitness goals.
Manny Dhaliwal Reg. PT
Physiocare and Wellness Clinic